GRW is honored to be involved with this project focused on demonstrating the value of water recovery.
Next Round Brewing tackles this mission using a practical, but unique approach - cleaning and treating water from water resource recovery facility effluent to provide safe, high quality water to to brew high quality craft beers.
Next Round Brewing completed the development of the treatment system and delivered the finished water to the four microbreweries in Louisville. Results of the project – in the form of four beers – were unveiled and tasted in at the 2019 annual joint Water Professionals Conference for Clean Water Professionals (CWP) of Kentucky & Tennessee and and KY/TN Section of American Water Works Association (AWWA).
Next Round Brewing’s success within the microbrewery world demonstrates the strong potential to broaden the scope of awareness of water recovery, as well as to create a basis for reuse regulations in Kentucky.
The project recently moved into ACEC's 2021 Engineering Excellence Awards National Awards Competition. It previously received a Grand Award from ACEC-Kentucky.
This is a true collaboration. In addition to CWP of KY &TN and KY/TN Section AWWA, project partners and their roles include:
- Louisville Metropolitan Sewer District: system operation
- Louisville Water Company: testing
- Isopure Corporation: Manufacturer of water treatment systems
- University of Louisville, Speed School of Engineering: conceptual treatment design
- Beckmar Laboratories: third-party water analysis
- Zoeller Pump Co.: treatment system equipment
- A2Z Ozone: treatment system equipment
- Guthrie Sales & Service: equipment
- Four (4) Louisville microbreweries: Holsopple Brewing, Apocalypse Brew Works, Akasha Brewing, and Gordon Biersch Brewing
Learn more about the project here. Help this group keep the conversation going!